I’m a book fiend. I admit it. Since going gluten-free and ridding myself of my addiction to soft, chewy, chocolate chip cookies, I’m now addicted to books. I get it from my mama. I suppose if there is a “good” addiction, books probably tops the list. And to seal the deal, when you are married to a person who loves to read as much as you do and orders new books allll the time, its like trying to keep a fat (non gluten-free) kid from nomming on cookies. Aint.Gonna.Happen.
So, a new book appears on the kitchen counter last night. “Start: Punch Fear in the Face. Escape Average. Do Work That Matters” by Jon Acuff. I said in my head, “Sure, I’ll read this, no problem honey.” It’s 9am the next day and I’m done. Needless to say, it is incredible. Now, I’ve read countless books like this, I’m a sucker for a good self-help, business, or motivational type. But there were something different about this one and I feel compelled to share it and
demand encourage you to read it too. It’s a book about being Awesome and what it takes to be Awesome. It’s so simple, so straightforward and so DUH! but believe me, you’ll be motivated to begin whatever it is that makes up your dreams, your goals, your definition of success.
I won’t recap the whole thing, but here are a few jewels that rocked my world:
- Kill the voices in your head or they’ll kill you.
- Fear is schizophrenic – It tell you that “you can’t.” Then it tells you “if you try, it has to be perfect.” LIES, LIES, LIES!
- Ask yourself these two questions. 1. If I died today, what would I regret not being able to do? 2. Are these the things I’m spending time doing?
- The # 1 regret of dying people is this: “I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.” Hello, I’m waving my hand at this one too.
- What can I not stop doing?
- Awesome writes great books (creates great paintings, makes great jewelry, etc.) even if no one is going to read (see, wear, etc.) them.
- Time is the only honest indication of what really matters to you. Check your calendar to see what you love.
- Helping other people better their lives is way more fun than obsessing about bettering your own.
And for the kicker: You never get to change the world before you change your life.
Do yourself a favor and buy the book. Today. Read it. Do it. Start.
Leave me comments about your dreams and answers to the questions above.
I love you all (not sure why, but I’m so passionate about this post that I feel like I need to sign it with love.)