They say it takes a slight narcissist to offer life advice because really, how can one person know the secrets of life and what’s best for another person? I surely don’t have the answer as I scramble my way through life. However, there are some things that I’ve learned in my short (almost) 30 years that I wish I had known earlier, or wish I had the courage to live by:
- Nobody else knows what you should do with your life; that responsibility rests with you.
- Refuse to live your life for someone else; doing so may bring temporary happiness but inevitable disappointment.
- Seek out and do those things that make you happy; the kind of happy that gives you butterflies.
- Find peace in believing in an eternal God and life after Earth; there’s much more to existence than our one-dimensional understanding.
- Take time to see other people’s perspective; it will most likely open your eyes to a world you never thought about.
- Understand that every person has a story; you never know where someone has been.
- Stop complaining; there is always something to be grateful for. Always.
- Read biographies and autobiographies; a life well-lived is the greatest teacher.
- Don’t underestimate yourself; you are far more than you think yourself to be.
- Quiet the negative voices in your head; they are all liars.
- Be vulnerable; it’s in those moments that we truly live.
- Challenge your fears; you’re more powerful than that which holds you back.
- Keep your word; honesty and integrity are the cornerstones of great character.
- Know what you believe and stand firm on it; you can’t build a solid life on a shaky foundation.
- Cherish your memories and take time to reminisce; what is life but our memories?
- Meet new people; everyone has at least one interesting thing about them. Often, it’s thousands of things.
- Nurture your relationships; it takes work to be in union with others.
- Trust your intuition; it knows more than you do.
- Smile even when you don’t feel like it; this small physical act has great psychological effects.
- Don’t live in isolation; we are meant to have friends.
- Give second chances – maybe even thirds and fourths; this requires forgiveness.
- Don’t wait; you may only have one chance to do what you want.
- Be humble; you don’t know everything.
- Eat the cake and ice cream; just not everyday.
- Express yourself; holding it in will make you crazy.
- Surround yourself with people who uplift you; there’s enough other things in the world to drag you down.
- Pray, meditate, and be still; the world moves too fast to be without a pause.
- Find joy in the small things; they make up your life.
- Take risks; careful living robs you of your potential.
- Be authentic; in a world full of copies, what we need is the real you.
These are just a few things that came to mind. Feel free to share your insights with me in the comment section!
Thanks for reading –